Allmand Bros. Inc., recently celebrated its 75th anniversary.
Founded in 1938 in a small garage in the tiny town of Huntley, Neb., the third generation company has grown to become a leader in portable lighting, heating and traffic safety equipment.
In the midst of the Great Depression, and unable to afford a new arc welder for their repair shop, brothers Leslie and Walter Allmand built their own.
It worked so well that their neighbors asked the brothers to build welders for them, and the business was born.
Fast-forward to 1954, when Allmand developed the “Contractor’s Lantern,” the industry’s first portable light tower. From this humble origin today’s light tower industry began.
Allmand was the first to use 1,000 watt metal halide lighting in a light tower application, the first to use parallel lamp fixtures and the first to develop and use the high-efficiency SHO compact parallel lamp fixture, according to the company.
Adding to this list of firsts, Allmand was also the first to offer the LSC-100 light sequence control that allows unattended sequential start-up and shut-down of the light tower systems.
Today, Allmand is the only manufacturer to offer the SHO-HD 1250 watt engineered metal halide lighting system with a 150,000 lumens per fixture, providing a brighter, more true-to-life light.
The SHO-HD system is standard on all domestic Night-Lite PRO II and Maxi-Lite models. Allmand also developed and introduced the V-Series light tower in North America.