Three Construction Workers Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Overexposure in Berkeley

High carbon monoxide levels inside a Berkeley building led authorities to take three construction workers to the hospital on Friday, officials said.

📅   Wed January 04, 2017 - National Edition
By Jenna Lyons


Photo: ERproductions Ltd, Getty Image
Photo: ERproductions Ltd, Getty Image

Three construction workers were hospitalized following overexposure to carbon monoxide inside a Berkeley building on Friday, officials said.

Berkeley Fire Department received a call about 4 p.m. on an incident at the new City Sports Club building under construction at San Pablo and Folger avenues, according to Deputy Fire Chief Dave Brannigan, a fire department spokesman.

Construction workers inside the building were operating a gas power washer when five of the employees were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, he said. Carbon monoxide prevents blood from holding oxygen.

Three of those workers were hospitalized but officials declined to comment on their conditions, citing privacy concerns. Authorities will notify Cal/OSHA, which protects workers from safety hazards on the job.

It was not clear if the construction workers were wearing protective gear at the time. Officials said there is no risk of exposure to anyone outside the building.

Source: http://url.ie/11n83