At a recent gala event, Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts (AGC) announced the winners of the AGC Build New England Awards. This juried awards program recognizes the constructor, owner and primary designer equally for their professional roles in developing, designing and building successful projects. These projects include hospitals, schools and universities, parking garages, office buildings, senior living centers, research facilities, libraries and even zoos.
Awards are given in four categories — Performance, Merit, Honor and the Chairman’s Award — and measured against a list of criteria. Holland + Knight LLP was the corporate sponsor at the event held at The State Room in Boston.
The Chairman’s Award or Best in Show went to the team responsible for the multi-year MassPort Central Parking Garage Repairs and Expansion Project. The contractor was Turner Construction, Boston; the primary designer, PB Americas Inc., Boston; and the owner, Massachusetts Port Authority.
Four teams received the Honor Award including the following:
• Walsh Brothers, contractor; Payette associates, primary designer; and the owner, Partners Healthcare System — for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at MGH.
• Skanska USA Building, contractor; Tsoi/Kobus & Associates, architect — for Harvard University’s Biology Research Infrastructure Facility.
• Walsh Brothers, contractor; Scott Aquilina and Ann Beha Architects — for Boston Symphony Orchestra’s Replacement of the Orchestra Floor.
• Consigli Construction, owner and contractor; Amsler, Mashek, Maclean Architects and Architerra for The Granite Building, Milford.
Five Merit Award winners:
• Turner Construction, contractor; Goody Clancy and Charles Correa & Associates, architects for MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences Facility.
• Payton Construction, contractor; CBT, architect for the Cathedral High School, Boston.
• Consigli Construction, contractor; Bruner Cott & Associates, architect; for the Harvard University Blackstone Office Renovation.
• Skanska USA Building, contractor; Robert A.M. Stern, architect — for the Harvard Business School Baker Library & Academic Center.
• Walsh Brothers Inc., contractor; D’Agostino, Izzo, Quirk, architects for the Boston Red Sox Fenway Park EMC Club and State Street Pavilion.
Five Performance Award winners:
• Walsh Brothers Inc., contractor; Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott, architect; for the Redwood Library Masterplan, Newport, R.I.
• C.E. Floyd, contractor; EGA, PC Architects; for the Overlook Life Care Community.
• Marc Truant & Associates, contractor; Mills Whitaker Architects — for the Park Street School, Boston.
• Commodore Builders, contractor; Perkins + Will architect; for the Franklin Park Zoo Interior Gorilla Exhibit for Zoo New England.
• Payton Construction, contractor; Geller Sport/Stantec, primary designer; for the Harvard University Stadium Renovation.
The awards program was initiated in 1991 by AGC Massachusetts to recognize project teams who work together to plan, design and construct the office buildings, retail, hospitality, laboratories, schools and hospitals.
For more information, call 781/235-2680 or visit www.agcmass.org.
Today's top stories