The Air Resources Board (ARB) staff is hosting a series of workshops to discuss ARB’s proposed strategic plan for enforcement of diesel emission reduction regulations.
Workshop No. 1 will take place April 15 from 3 to 5 p.m. at Air Resources Board in Annex 4 Auditorium. The facility is located on 9530 Telstar Avenue in El Monte, Calif.
Workshop No. 2 will take place April 25 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Cal/EPA Building in Byron Sher Auditorium. The facility is located on 1001 I Street in Sacramento, Calif.
The Sacramento workshop will be Webcast and can be accessed at www.arb.ca.gov.
This plan is being developed pursuant to requirements codified in AB 233, Jones, (Chapter 592 Statutes of 2007), known as the Healthy Heart and Lung Act. Specifically, the act requires ARB to:
• Review its existing enforcement of diesel emission control regulations and anticipated enforcement needs to implement ARB’s Diesel Risk Reduction Plan and Emission Reduction Plan for Ports and Goods Movement with an updated review every three years;
• Develop a strategic plan for consistent, comprehensive and fair enforcement of these regulations. The strategic plan must include an assessment of the need for additional staff and technology resources, goals for inspection frequency for the next three years, an education and outreach component to increase public awareness and understanding of the diesel regulations, and training for local enforcement staff;
• Consult with the air districts and the public in developing the strategic plan;
• Present the strategic plan for review by the board at a public board meeting; and
• Submit the initial strategic plan to the relevant legislative policy and fiscal committees by Jan. 1, 2009.
These workshops are designed to fulfill the statutory requirement to consult with air districts and the public in developing the strategic plan. To facilitate statewide participation, ARB has scheduled workshops in both northern and southern California.
The final agenda, presentations, and any additional material will be available prior to the workshop at www.arb.ca.gov/enf/hhla/hhla.htm.
The hard copy materials also will be available on the day of the workshop.
As required by the statute, the proposed strategic plan is scheduled for review by the board at its May 22 to 23 public hearing to be held in Fresno.
For more information, call
Today's top stories