The American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) recognized transportation design and construction industry leaders Sept. 12 with division awards during the association’s national convention, held in Memphis, Tenn.
The American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) recognized transportation design and construction industry leaders Sept. 12 with division awards during the association’s national convention, held in Memphis, Tenn. The association announced the following honorees:
• Nello L. Teer Jr.: Leo Vecellio, chairman and CEO, Vecellio Group, West Palm Beach, Fla. Created in 1988 as a tribute to contractor and Past ARTBA Chairman (1959-61) Nello L. Teer Jr., it annually honors a contractor member who has made outstanding contributions to the association’s Contractors Division and the transportation construction industry.
• Guy Kelcey: Larry Peterson, senior principal, Kleinfelder Inc., Kuna, Idaho. This award, which honors Guy Kelcey, one of the planning and design (P&D) division’s organizers, is given each year to an ARTBA member who has exhibited a high degree of service to the association’s P&D division.
• Paul F. Phelan Memorial: Steve McGough, chief operating officer, HCSS, in Sugarland, Texas. Established in 1971, it is given annually in recognition of outstanding contributions to the ARTBA materials and services division and the transportation construction industry.
• John “Jake” Landen Memorial Highway Safety: Bernard Arseneau, deputy commissioner and chief engineer, Minnesota Department of Transportation, and Bruce Owens, vice president of sales, Plastic Safety Systems, Cleveland, Ohio. Established in 1989 in memory of traffic safety industry division leader and Past ARTBA Chairman (1976) J.C. Landen, this annual award recognizes outstanding contributions to highway safety.
• S.S. Steinberg: Andrew Farkas, director, National Transportation Center at Morgan State University, Baltimore, Md. Created in honor of S.S. Steinberg, the founding president of the research and education division, the award recognizes an individual who has made remarkable contributions to transportation education.
Today's top stories