The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) has published a Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, a new technical reference for construction lawyers, design and construction engineers and project executives responsible for the success of engineering and construction projects.
With legal affairs playing an extremely vital role in construction administration and with the enormous cost of construction works settled through dispute resolution and courts, it is critical that the engineering profession raise awareness and knowledge of legal systems before issues such as professional liability affect the practice of engineering and construction companies, according to ASCE.
The Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction presents thought-provoking papers with insights into the legal relationships arising out of the changing nature of project delivery systems, dispute avoidance and resolution, sustainability concerns, and effective project execution.
In the inaugural issue, one of the feature articles, A Case Study as to the Effectiveness of Dispute Review Boards on the Central Artery/Tunnel Project by Kathleen Harmon, explains an important alternative dispute resolution application. Six other articles, the forum, and the special issue editor’s preface also are available for free online.
Editor-in-Chief Amarjit Singh, of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, provides readers with papers covering a wide range of topics in legal issues and legal systems including:
• Contract law and interpretation
• Professional liability and negligence
• Public bidding law and regulation
• Negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and alternative dispute-resolution systems
• Tort and insurance law
• Workers’ compensation
• Environmental law and compliance
• Sustainability and climate change
• Acts and statutes governing design and construction of public or private projects
• State and federal hazardous waste law
• Maritime, coastal and ocean law
• Product liability
• Real estate development and construction law
• Labor and employment law
• Administrative law
• Government contracts
• Corporate and bankruptcy law and regulation
• Claims analysis, defense, and litigation
• Intellectual property law
• Land-use law
• ADA and OSHA compliance law and regulations
• Ethical violations giving rise to liability
• The teaching of law to engineers and construction managers
For more information, visit http://ascelibrary.aip.org/lao.
Today's top stories