Atlas Copco’s new HB 4100 hydraulic breaker.
Atlas Copco’s addition to its heavy hydraulic breaker line, the HB 4100 has a service weight of 9,039 lbs. (4,100 kg) — designed for carriers in the 88,185- to 154,324-lb. weight class — but is as powerful as other, much heavier breakers, according to the manufacturer.
“The improvement is considerable,” explained Keith Becker, Atlas Copco product development specialist of hydraulic breakers. “We were able to achieve double-digit percentage increases in power and efficiency while holding on to our known reliability.”
Reduced weight and better performance means that similar results can be achieved with a smaller hydraulic breaker. A lighter breaker also means that a smaller excavator can be used, saving both investment and operating costs.
“The return on investment is many times greater than the pure acquisition costs. The reduction of total cost of ownership conserves resources such as man hours and fuel. The HB 4100 does this with its durability and simple maintenance concepts,” Becker said.
Another improvement to the HB 4100 hydraulic breaker is a guide system that makes the breaker more stable and resilient.
“Hydraulic breakers are ultimately subjected to use under the most extreme conditions,” Becker added. “A new cover plate for the retaining bars offers more protection in the lower part of the breaker. This area receives the most wear and tear, especially on demolition jobs. The HB 4100 also has increased wear protection at the bottom of the case, which has proven its worth with all heavy hydraulic breakers from Atlas Copco.”
The new HB 4100 also includes the following standard features of the Atlas Copco heavy hydraulic breaker series:
• The VibroSilenced system protects operators against noise and vibrations.
• PowerAdapt switches the breaker off in the event of a hydraulic overflow.
• AutoControl adjusts the blow frequency and blow energy to match the hardness of the material.
• ContiLube II is an integrated, automatic lubrication system.
• StartSelect allows the operator to influence the startup and shutdown behavior of the hydraulic breaker.
• The optional DustProtector protects the lower part of the hydraulic breaker from dust and rock particles.
The HB 4100 hydraulic breaker is suitable for secondary and primary rock breaking in quarries, demolition of concrete, steel and pavement, trenching, dredging, tunneling and foundation work.
For more information, visit www.atlascopco.us.