Komatsu America Corp. has introduced its new series of D85 crawler dozers which includes the D85EX-15 and D85PX-15, which are available through Linder Machinery Company’s 19 locations in Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina.
These new models were developed for heavy dozing, ripping and grading applications. All major components including hydraulics, power train, mainframe and operator cab are engineered by Komatsu.
These latest crawler dozers feature a Komatsu SAA6D125E-5 turbocharged aftercooled diesel engine, which provides a maximum net output of 264 hp (197 kW). The new engine is Tier III compliant.
Improved fuel filtration with water separator keeps injectors clean and engine at full power. The hydraulic- driven reversible engine cooling fan conserves up to 24 hp (18 kW), thereby reducing fuel consumption and providing excellent productivity in a quiet operating environment.
These dozers are equipped with the latest Komtrax technology, which enables them to send machine operating information to a secure website. Hour meter, location, cautions and maintenance alerts — to name a few of its features — are relayed to the web application for analysis.
The Komtrax fleet monitoring system increases machine availability, reduces the risk of machine theft, allows for remote diagnosis by the distributor and provides a wealth of other information to drive business efficiency and productivity.
Special features of the new crawler dozers include:
• A new cab design that creates optimal operator environment. The hexagonal cab design and large tinted glass windows provide excellent front, side and rear visibility. The operator cab is mounted on four viscous fluid dampers to reduce shock and vibration while traveling over adverse conditions, which conventional mounting systems are unable to absorb. All of the machines use a suspension seat, with fore and aft sliding rails and suspension springs that have been designed to increase strength and rigidity; air-suspension seats are now an option. Air filters combined with a higher internal air pressurizer prevent dust from entering the cab.
• Joystick controls for low effort operation. Transmission gear shifting is simplified with thumb push buttons. Forward and reverse travel speeds can be preset, eliminating the need for frequent gear shifts. The blade control joystick uses the PPC (Proportional Pressure Control) valve, which, combined with the Komatsu hydraulic system, improves precise control. Engine speed is controlled using electronic throttle control dial, providing ease of operation, while eliminating maintenance of linkage and joints. The travel control console has adjustment for aft and height.
• Electronic control powertrain. The D85 dozers use an electronic control power train system that improves ease of operation and productivity. Shock-free steering reduces machine vibration and minimizes operator fatigue.
Powerful turns under load are achieved through the Hydrostatic Steering System, which is driven by an independent hydraulic pump and motor to maintain power to both tracks. When the machine turns, the outside track moves faster and the inside more slowly. Counter-rotation is available for minimum turning radius.
• Strong blade capacity for outstanding productivity.
High-tensile strength, wear-resistant steel has been incorporated into the front and sides of the blade for increased durability.
• The D85EX-15 straight-tilt dozer has an operating weight of 61,950 lbs. (28,100 kg) and a blade capacity of 6.8 cu. yds. (5.2 cu m).
• The D85EX-15 semi-u tilt dozer has an operating weight of 61,950 lbs. (28,100 kg) and a blade capacity of 9.2 cu. yds. (7 cu m).
• The D85EX-15 full-u-tilt dozer has an operating weight of 61,950 lbs. (28,100 kg) with a blade capacity of 11.1 cu. yds. (8.5 cu m).
• The D85PX-15 straight-tilt dozer has an operating weight of 60,960 lbs. (27,650 kg) with a blade capacity of 7.7 cu yds. (5.9 cu m).
The EX model dozers feature multi-shank rippers that have a long sprocket center-to-ripper point distance.