Additional capacity will be added to U.S. 183 North from MoPac to RM 620.
The Texas Transportation Commission authorized the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority (CTRMA) to fund and construct two tolled managed lanes in each direction in the median of U.S. 183 and construct the fourth general purpose lane in each direction where only three currently exist. TxDOT will reimburse the CTRMA for the costs to build the non-tolled general purpose improvements. TxDOT will fund the non-tolled enhancements with federal money, and no Proposition 1 or Proposition 7 money will be used on the project.
A new Mobility35 project in Williamson County also got the green light. The $10.6 million project will convert the I-35 frontage roads from two-way to a one-way traffic pattern between Bud Stockton Loop and FM 972. Entrance and exit ramps also will be reversed to reduce merging conflicts.
Central Texans will need to slow down on SH 71 from the Bee Cave city limit to the Pedernales River. A recent speed study found the speed limit could be lowered from 60 mph to 55 mph along this corridor. Signs were installed and the new speed limit is in effect.
Multiple safety projects worth $7.8 million also were awarded:
- Install and repair traffic signals on I-35 frontage roads and various locations in Travis County
- Install flashing yellow arrow on FM 969 at Loop 111 in Travis County
- Install traffic signal on SH 21 at FM 1209 in Bastrop County
- Install flashing yellow arrow on U.S. 290 just south of Bell Springs Drive in Hays County
- Repair, replace and upgrade guardrail at various locations along U.S. 281 in Burnet County
- Add edgeline and centerline markings along U.S. 290 from the Blanco County line to about 1.5 mi. northwest of RM 12 in Hays County
Several paving projects worth more than $12.3 million were awarded:
- RM 2243 from U.S. 183 to west of Weir Ranch Road in Williamson County
- U.S. 183 from the Burnet County line to a mile north of SH 29 in Williamson County
- U.S. 183 from south of SH 71 to south of FM 812 in Travis County
- Loop 275 (Congress Avenue) from Foremost Drive to Slaughter Lane in Travis County
- U.S. 290 East from RM 16323 to east of Rocky Creek in Blanco County
- SH 21 from the Bastrop County line to just west of FM 2240 in Lee County
For more information, visit www.TxDOT.gov.