A safety/drainage improvement project on Highway 17 near Glenwood Drive south of Trinity Mission Area to Woodwardia began May 6.
Caltrans shifted all traffic into the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction open at all times.
The project stretches for 1.2 mi. (1.9 km) and consists of work primarily on the southbound side with the following improvements:
• Construction of four retaining walls.
• Construction of 8 ft. (2.4 m) shoulders.
• Better drainage improvements (throughout project).
• Median installation and realignment to maximize the potential of the lane width.
• Repavement (throughout project) with open graded asphalt, which allows better drainage of pavement in inclement weather to help prevent hydroplaning.
The contractor for this $8.2 million project is Pavex Construction Division of San Jose.
Work is expected to be complete in the summer of 2009.