The American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) honored industry leaders Sept. 14, with awards during the association’s annual meeting, held in Palm Beach, FL.
ARTBA presented the following awards:
• The Nello L. Teer Jr. Award — 2004-05 ARTBA Chairman Rich Wagman, chairman and CEO of G.A. & F.C. Wagman Inc. in York, PA.
Created in 1988 as a tribute to contractor and Past ARTBA Chairman (1959-61) Nello L. Teer Jr., this award annually honors a contractor member who has made outstanding contributions to the association’s Contractors Division and the transportation construction industry as a whole.
• Guy Kelcey Award: Nick Ivanoff, president and CEO of Ammann & Whitney in New York, NY.
This award, which honors Guy Kelcey, one of the Planning & Design (P&D) Division’s organizers, is given each year to an ARTBA member who has exhibited a high degree of service to the association’s P&D Division.
• Ralph R. Bartelsmeyer Award: Jim Piekarczyk, county engineer of the Kankakee County Illinois Highway Department.
Established in 1983 in memory of Past ARTBA Chairman (1961-63) Ralph R. Bartelsmeyer, the award honors a public official who has demonstrated a strong sense of dedication and service to the association’s Transportation Officials Division and the transportation construction industry.
• John “Jake” Landen Memorial Highway Safety Award: (Traffic Safety Industry Division): Former Federal Highway Associate Administrator George Ostensen.
Established in 1989 in memory of safety and industry leader and Past ARTBA Chairman (1976) J.C. Landen, this annual award recognizes outstanding contributions to highway safety.
ARTBA also announced the winners of its Mobilize! Awards program, which honors outstanding achievement in grassroots legislative activism by an ARTBA member-firm or contractor chapter.
• G.A. & F.C. Wagman Inc.,
• Granite Construction Inc.,
• HNTB Corporation,
• Michigan Infrastructure & Transportation Association, and
• Oldcastle Materials Inc.
The association also presented a special “Mobilize Leadership Award” to Paul Yarossi, president of the HNTB Companies to recognize his service as co-chair of ARTBA’s Grassroots Strike Force during the recent federal highway/transit bill legislative process and leadership in organizing extensive grassroots activities by HNTB employees.
ARTBA presented its Leadership Award to the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) in recognition of the group’s 50th anniversary. NAWIC President Carol Chapman, owner and CEO of Mobile Construction Company in Charlotte, NC, accepted the award.