Co 145, from Illium Road (County Road L63) to Deep Creek Road; a passing lane will be constructed on the southbound, uphill lane (towards Telluride).
CDOT and contractor Oldcastle SW Group Inc., have begun a project on CO Highway 145 just northwest of Telluride. The work will improve safety for motorists by widening the two-lane highway, adding a southbound, uphill passing lane (towards Telluride) and improving shoulders between mile point (MP) 73.9 at lllium Road (County Road 65L) and MP 75.1 at Deep Creek Road. Passing lanes will provide space and opportunities for faster vehicles to safely pass slower moving traffic. This project was contracted to Oldcastle for $5.4 million.
Crews will excavate the hillside along the northbound lane and widen the roadway to accommodate the new southbound passing lane. The work will involve the following:
- Construction of a reinforced soil slope and rockery retaining wall
- Installation of new guardrail
- Replacement of existing culverts at eight locations across this stretch of improvement from Illium Road to the CDOT Maintenance facility
- Construction of a concrete box culvert at Deep Creek
- Super-elevation and crown improvements on the roadway (meaning the roadway's banked curve will be adjusted and its height will be leveled to improve safety for motorists, by way of cornering ease and increased sight distance).
The following are general details regarding travel impacts:
- Through early July 2019 — Single-lane, alternating traffic will be directed by flagging personnel from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and special event dates.
- Early June through late December 2019 — A 10-ft. width restriction will be in place 24/7.
- Early July through late December 2019 — Single-lane, alternating traffic will be controlled by temporary traffic lights at each end of the work zone, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Access onto and off of Ilium Road (CR 65L) and Deep Creek Road and the Galloping Goose trail system will be maintained.
For more information, visit codot.gov/projects/co-145-deep-creek-passing-lanes.
Today's top stories