GUCA members hit the greens Sept. 17 at the Orchard Hills Golf Course in Newnan, Ga., for the 2007 GUCA Larry S. McReynolds Golf Tournament to raise money for GUCA educational programs and the NUCA Foundation for Education and Research.
The tournament was established to help give back to the industry by providing scholarships to college students in construction degree programs as well as other educational endeavors such as school-to-work programs for high school students and HEO programs for those seeking career opportunities in utility construction.
With 316 players in attendance, this event was GUCA’s most successful golf tournament to date. This year’s event was divided into two separate tournaments with 37 registered teams in the morning and 42 registered teams in the afternoon.
The morning tournament winners were:
• Third place — David Schafer and Brian Collins of METRAC; and Danny Cook and Jim Dukes of JCD Enterprises with a score of 55
• Second place — John Harp and Therol Brown of Richard Harp Excavation Inc.; and Michael Parker of Reese Insurance Associates with a score of 54
• First place — Jamie Hunter, and Blake Isreal of Vulcan Materials Company; Charles Allender of Richard Harp Excavation Inc.; and Mac Rainey of MC Precast with a score of 53.
The afternoon tournament winners were:
• Third place — Jake Shirley, Dale Massingill and Stan Waddell of Cable East Inc.; and Donovin Brown of Comcast Communications with a score of 54
• Second place — Charlie Smith and Harris Stokes of Crawford Grading & Pipeline Inc.; and Trey Lewis and Russ Newman of Consolidated Pipe & Supply Co. Inc. with a score of 54
• First place — Tim VanEgmond, Jeff Hortman and Lane Hale of Mainline Supply of Jonesboro Inc.; and Ted Blackhurst of Premier Utilities & Services Inc. with a score of 53.
The overall winning team for the tournament was Tim VanEgmond, Jeff Hortman and Lane Hale of Mainline Supply of Jonesboro Inc.; and Ted Blackhurst of Premier Utilities & Services Inc., with a score of 53.
This result was determined by a friendly coin toss between the two winning teams.
The winners of longest drive competitions for the morning tournament were Tim VanEgmond, Mainline Supply of Jonesboro Inc.; Jim Dukes, JCD Enterprises; and John Massey, Georgia Power. The closest to the pin winners for the morning tournament were David Conner, Mechanical Associates Inc.; Charles Allender, Richard Harp Excavation Inc.; and Jason Stanley, Reynolds Inc. The winners of longest drive competitions for the afternoon tournament were Jay Lambert, E.F.S. Inc.; Ty Edwards, Briggs Construction Equipment; and Hunter Hall, Southeastern Clearing Systems LLC. The closest to the pin winners for the afternoon were Randy Johnson, HD Supply Waterworks; Scott McGill, McGill & Sons Inc.; and Joe Dinardo, Smith, Currie & Hancock LLP.
Jim Dukes of JCD Enterprises made the first hole-in-one in the history of the GUCA golf tournament on a Par 3 at Orchard Hole No. 2.
The contributions from the participants and sponsors were a major part of the success of the 2007 Larry S. McReynolds Memorial Golf Tournament. More than 50 sponsors contributed to this year’s tournament.
Today's top stories