Granite Construction Inc. of Watsonville, Calif., was honored March 5 for its work building support for and coordinating with a variety of contractors, owner groups and federal, state and local agencies as part of the construction of the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge in the Washington, D.C. area. The project, which received the Associated General Contractors of America’s (AGC) Marvin M. Black Excellence in Partnering Award, was among four cited for successfully maintaining support and cooperation among the many groups involved with its construction and oversight.
“These awards acknowledge that the hardest part of most construction projects isn’t laying bricks or pouring cement, it’s building a foundation of understanding, trust and support with everyone involved,” said Doug Pruitt, incoming president of AGC. “Successful projects need technical skill and know-how, but a commitment to community support, worker safety and great communication are essential.”
The Marvin M. Black Excellence in Partnering Awards were announced as part of AGC’s 90th Annual Convention in San Diego, Calif. Pruitt said that these awards are designed to recognize construction companies for their ability to achieve a common goal, honor all stakeholders, maintain momentum, perpetuate partnering, improve communication and incorporate team-building activities.
The 2009 Marvin M. Black Excellence in Partnering Winners include:
• I-15 NOW Design Build Reconstruction Project, Greater Ogden Area of Weber County, Utah, Granite Construction Inc., Sponsoring Partner of Weber County Constructors
• Edward R. Roybal Learning Center — LAUSD Central High School No. 11, Los Angeles, Calif., Hensel Phelps Construction Company
• Virginia Approach Spans for the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, Alexandria, Va., Granite Construction Company, Sponsoring Partner of Virginia Approach Constructors (VAC)
• Milwaukee City Hall Historic Restoration, Milwaukee, Wis., J.P. Cullen & Sons Inc.
The 2008 Special Recognition Award Winners include:
• Red Mountain Freeway/SR L202, Mesa, Ariz., Pulice Construction Inc.
• I-15 Virgin River Bridges No. 2 to No. 7, Virgin River Gorge, Ariz., Austin Bridge & Road
• Lake Pleasant Water Treatment Plant, Phoenix, Ariz., McCarthy Building Companies Inc.
• Connecticut College Asset Reinvestment 2008, New London, Conn., Konover Construction Corp.
• SR87 Emergency Embankment & Slope Repair Project, Gila County, Ariz., Royden Construction Co.