Hawthorne Machinery Co. has been the exclusive Caterpillar dealer serving San Diego County since 1956. The company’s territory has expanded over the years to include northern Baja California, Tonga, Samoa, Guam, Saipan and most recently the Hawaiian Islands.
Hawthorne Machinery Co. offers new and used Caterpillars and other quality brand equipment, service contracts, field service, repairs, custom fabrication, CAT factory authorized engine service and rebuilding, and modern service and testing facilities.
Hawthorne Machinery Co.’s machines have been part of projects such as San Diego’s Interstate 15 project, Petco Park, Qualcomm Stadium and the homes in which many San Diegans reside.
Hawthorne’s year began with a grand opening event in February 2006 for Hawthorne de Mexico’s newest facility located in Tijuana. Other events celebrating the anniversary include an employee picnic to recognize the hard work of all employees, a golf tournament and fundraiser and a technology fair held at the company’s headquarters in Rancho Bernardo.
Tom Hawthorne began his career in 1948 when he started Los Angeles Tractor and Equipment Company with his father, J.B. Hawthorne. In 1956, the company moved to San Diego to become Hawthorne Machinery Co., the Caterpillar dealer for San Diego County and the northwest portion of Baja California, Mexico.
Currently acting as chairman of the board of Hawthorne Machinery Co., Hawthorne oversees its eight divisions: Hawthorne Machinery Co.; Hawthorne Power Systems; Hawthorne Lift Systems; Hawthorne Rent-It Service; Hawthorne de Mexico; Hawthorne of Samoa Inc.; Hawthorne Ltd. (Tonga); and Hawthorne Pacific Corp. Each division provides specialized services to customers working in a wide variety of fields.
Hawthorne has received accolades for his state, city and community contributions such as The Golden Beaver Award for outstanding contributions to the construction industry and the CIT Rebuilding America Award in recognition of his efforts to create a greater awareness of the need to rebuild the country’s infrastructure.
Hawthorne’s public service and governmental affairs include being appointed to the Commission of the Californias in 1984 and the California Transportation Commission from 1984 to 1992.
Additionally, he has served on the Advisory Committee for the University of California, San Diego and on the Board of Trustees of LEAD, Sea World of San Diego, and the Construction Industry Promotion Trust.
Hawthorne’s Rancho Bernardo facility spans over 25 acres and is the corporate headquarters for all the Hawthorne divisions such as:
• Hawthorne Power Systems sells, rents, and services the power generation, marine, on- and off-highway trucking, and other engine-related markets.
Hawthorne Power Systems work with building, rebuilding, and packaging engines and power systems of all sizes, from truck engines and turnkey generator plants to cogeneration and standby power.
It was formed in 1972 and is based out of Kearny Mesa, serving all of San Diego County and the Hawaiian Islands.
• Hawthorne Rent-It Service provides rental equipment to the construction and industrial markets. After being formed in 1974, it has grown to 12 branches throughout San Diego County and the Hawaiian Islands.
This division provides the rental of heavy and compact equipment, lift trucks, generators, lighting, welders, compressors, dump trucks, water trucks and more from Caterpillar and other allied brands.
• Hawthorne Lift Systems provides material handling solutions to customers in San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino and Inyo counties as well as to customers in Baja California, Mexico.
• Hawthorne de Mexico is located in Tijuana and Ensenada, Mexico, and handles Caterpillar and other allied brand products in the northern Baja California region in Mexico.
It was formed in 1956 and in 2005 finished developing a new multi-million dollar Tijuana facility specifically designed for its industry needs.
• Hawthorne of Samoa Inc. is located in Pago Pago, American Samoa, and was formed in 1982. The division fills the marine and construction needs in Samoa. Its facility has a complete sales, parts, and service staff that provides services to the worldwide tuna fleet, the construction industry, power plants, and all aspects of the industrial markets.
• Hawthorne Machinery Ltd., located in Nuku’alofa, Tonga, was incorporated in 1998. The facility serves the marine, industrial and construction needs for the Kingdom of Tonga.
• Hawthorne Pacific Corp. has served the Hawaiian Islands, Guam and Saipan as the exclusive Caterpillar dealer for sales, rentals, parts and service since 2004. In Hawaii, Hawthorne Pacific Corp. has locations on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the island of Hawaii to serve customers’ needs.
Other allied brands such as Club Car, Toro, Genie and Kubota are available to complement the product line.
Today's top stories