Mark “Tommy” McCabe was awarded the 2007 Scott Johnson Memorial Scholarship at the annual Underground Utility Contractors of Florida (UUCF) convention in Boca Raton, Fla.
The $7,500 scholarship went to McCabe, who is the son of Mark and Kim McCabe of C & M Road Builders Inc. in Sarasota.
Tommy plans to attend Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pa., where he plans to study business administration and civil engineering. He intends on pursuing a career that relates to infrastructure engineering issues on a global scale.
Prior to 2007, the UUCF/Andrew Scott Johnson Memorial Scholarship Foundation has awarded $62,500 in scholarships. This year, the trustees elected to raise the scholarship distribution amount to $7,500. In addition to that, the trustees elected to distribute an additional $16,000 in Meritorious Scholarships for a total distribution of $23,500.
The following were recipients of a $2,500 one-time Meritorious Scholarship:
• Lindsay Bierman is a graduate of Berean Christian School in West Palm Beach. Lindsay is the daughter of Shari Bierman of Belvedere Contracting Inc. and Bobby Bierman. In the fall, Lindsay will be attending Palm Beach Atlantic University where she plans to study nursing.
• Nyles Guignard is a graduate of Lyman High School in Longwood. Nyles is the son of Bryce Guignard of Guignard Company and Nancy Guignard. In the fall, Nyles will be attending Clemson University where he plans to study landscaping architecture.
• Steven Sanchez is a graduate of William T. Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens. Steven is the son of Rosa Sanchez of Johnson-Davis Inc. and Juan Sanchez. Steven is currently attending the University of Miami where he is studying political science and business administration.
• Jennifer Zebouni is a graduate of Episcopal High School in Jacksonville. Jennifer is the daughter of Anthony “Tony” Zebouni of Reagan, Zebouni & Walker, P.A. and Rebecca Zebouni. Jennifer is currently attending Xavier University where she is studying political science and Spanish.
The following were recipients of a $2,000 one-time Meritorious Scholarship:
• Timothy “Tim” Potter is a graduate of Lake Howell High School in Winter Park. Tim is the son of Robert Potter of T & R Tapping Service and Susan Potter. Tim also is the grandson of Sam Parker of T & R Tapping Service. In the fall, Tim will be attending WyoTech Technical School where he will be studying automotive mechanics.
• Wendy Sweeney is a graduate of Massapequa High School in Massapequa, N.Y. Wendy is the wife of Patrick Sweeney of Holland Pump Co. She is currently attending Coastal Georgia Community College where she is studying education.
• Alicia Woodall is a graduate of Bartram Trail High School in Jacksonville. Alicia is the daughter of Mike Woodall of John Woody Inc. and Flo Woodall. Alicia is currently attending the University of Alabama where she is studying nursing.
About the Scholarship
The UUCF/Andrew Scott Johnson Memorial Scholarship Foundation Inc. was established in memory of the son of two-time past president of UUCF, Scott Johnson of Johnson-Davis Inc. On Dec. 28, 1999, Scott and Robin Johnson’s son Andrew “Andy” Scott Johnson was tragically killed in an automobile accident at the age of 19. At the time of his death, Andy was a sophomore at Vanderbilt University studying civil engineering with hopes of entering the family business.
Today's top stories