The RFI is part of a larger initiative that MSHA is undertaking to reduce accidents involving powered haulage – which includes haul trucks, front-end loaders and other large vehicles – as well as belt conveyors.
MSHA will hold six public stakeholder meetings and a webinar on the Agency's Request for Information (RFI) on Safety Improvement Technologies for Mobile Equipment at Surface Mines, and for Belt Conveyors at Surface and Underground Mines. The RFI was published in the Federal Register on June 26, 2018.
Mobile equipment at surface operations includes bulldozers, front-end loaders and trucks, while belt conveyors are used to transport materials in surface and underground mines. The RFI is part of a larger initiative that MSHA is undertaking to reduce accidents involving powered haulage – which includes haul trucks, front-end loaders and other large vehicles – as well as belt conveyors.
In addition to soliciting data from stakeholders on technology and practices that can improve safety conditions for miners, MSHA will provide technical assistance and develop best practices and training materials to raise awareness of hazards related to mobile equipment and belt conveyors.
Meeting Dates and Locations
The meeting dates and locations are as follows:
- Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2018 at 9 a.m. CDT: Sheraton Birmingham Hotel; 2101 Richard Arrington Jr., Blvd. N., Birmingham, Ala. 35203. Contact number: 205-324-5000.
- Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018 at 9 a.m. CDT: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel; Dallas-Market Center, 2015 Market Center Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75207. Contact number: 214-741-7481.
- Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018 at 11 a.m. EDT: Webinar (click here for call-in information). Contact number: 202-693-9440
- Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2018 at 9 a.m. PDT: Renaissance Reno Downtown Hotel; One South Lake St., Reno, Nev. 89501. Contact number: 775-682-3900.
- Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018 at 9 a.m. EDT: National Mine Health and Safety Academy; 1301 Airport Road, Beckley, W. Va. 25813. Contact number: 304-256-3100.
- Thursday, Sept. 20, 2018. 9 a.m. EDT: Hilton Albany; 40 Lodge St., Albany, N.Y. 12207. Contact number: 518-462-6611
- Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018, 9 a.m. EDT: MSHA Headquarters; 201 12th St. South, 4E401, Arlington, Va. 22202. Contact number: 202-693-9440
Today's top stories