Gary Novak, utility sales of Komatsu Equipment Co., stands in front of a Komatsu CK 30 track loader.
Komatsu’s new Hybrid PC200LC-8 excavator scooped the first bucket of dirt in a groundbreaking ceremony for Komatsu Equipment’s new headquarters on Dec. 15.
More than one hundred attended the first dig, then celebrated over lunch in a tent next to the new facility. Construction of the new operation at 1486 South Distribution Drive in Salt Lake City is scheduled to be complete in August 2010.
“We are pleased to begin building our new state-of-the-art heavy equipment center,” noted John Pfisterer, president of Komatsu Equipment Company. “It will provide expanded service facilities to accommodate our mining and construction customers and will bring our Salt Lake City branch and corporate staff together in one location.”
The new facility will include 10 service bays plus a wash bay, a paint bay, an additional track shop and expanded rebuild area, doubling the size of the current service area. The size of the training facility will also double. Modern diagnostic and repair equipment will be installed throughout. It is located on 11.5 acres at the southeast corner of California Avenue and Bangerter Highway.
Construction at the new site commenced with Komatsu’s Hybrid PC200LC-8, the world’s first diesel/electric hybrid hydraulic excavator. Tests comparing the new model to Komatsu’s PC200LC-8 show a reduction in fuel consumption of 25 to 40 percent, depending on the application. Performance levels for the two machines are otherwise comparable, according to the manufacturer.
Komatsu Equipment has been selling and servicing heavy machinery since 1952. An exclusive dealer for Komatsu, the company has seven locations throughout Nevada, Utah and Wyoming.
For more information, call 877-KOMATSU or visit www.komatsueq.com.