The Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport will see $1,417,500 for improvements.
Twenty-five Alabama airports will receive more than $25.5 million in grant money from the Federal Aviation Administration for infrastructure, safety and equipment improvements.
“These FAA grants support critical projects that aim to improve safety, security and efficiency of airports across the state,” said Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby. “Airport infrastructure plays a vital role in economic growth and development in Alabama, and I look forward to the progress that will stem from these grants.”
The 25 grants will cover the following projects at various airports across the state:
- Albertville Regional-Thomas J Brumlik Field Airport, City of Albertville: $253,168 — taxiway reconstruction.
- Anniston Regional Airport, City of Anniston: $446,400 — apron and taxiway rehabilitation.
- Auburn University Regional Airport, Auburn University: $832,500 — taxiway rehabilitation.
- Bessemer Airport, City of Bessemer: $150,000 — runway rehabilitation.
- Bibb County Airport, County of Bibb: $242,640 — land acquisition to extend protection zone.
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport, Birmingham Airport Authority: $1,417,500 — erosion repair, safety equipment acquisition, sign installation, and taxiway rehabilitation.
- Carl Folsom Airport, Elba Airport Authority: $446,998 — construction a 7,200-square-foot hangar building.
- Cullman Regional-Folsom Field Airport, City and County of Cullman: $450,000 — taxiway reconstruction.
- Enterprise Municipal Airport, City of Enterprise: $653,140 — taxiway rehabilitation.
- Headland Municipal Airport, City of Headland: $990,000 — construction of an additional taxiway.
- H.L. Callahan Airport, City of Fairhope: $3,033,757 — construction of an additional taxiway and access taxiways.
- Lanett Municipal Airport, City of Lanett: $1,717,830 — construction of a runway and installation of a new runway lighting system.
- MacCrenshaw Memorial Airport, City of Greenville: $3,114,820 — runway reconstruction.
- Marion County-Rankin Fite Airport, County of Marion: $261,000 — construction of an additional taxiway to provide access to aircraft hangars.
- Mobile Downtown Airport, Mobile Airport Authority: $7,080,027 — taxiway reconstruction, runway rehabilitation and installation of a new taxiway lighting system.
- Moton Field Municipal Airport, City of Tuskegee: $195,480 — runway and taxiway rehabilitation.
- Ozark-Blackwell Field Airport, City of Ozark: $114,300 — runway rehabilitation and installation of new navigational aids.
- Prattville-Grouby Field Airport, Prattville Airport Authority: $150,000 — installation of airport drainage improvements.
- Pryor Field Regional Airport, Counties of Morgan and Limestone: $495,900 — taxiway lighting reconstruction.
- Shelby County Airport, County of Shelby: $249,970 — construction of a 14,830-sq.-ft. hangar building.
- Talladega Municipal Airport, City of Talladega: $190,410 — taxiway rehabilitation.
- Thomas C. Russell Field Airport, City of Alexander City: $94,500 — installation of a new navigational aid and a new runway vertical/visual guidance system.
- Tuscaloosa Regional Airport, City of Tuscaloosa: $2,652,600 — apron rehabilitation and a master plan study.
- Wetumpka Municipal Airport, City of Wetumpka: $150,000 — installation of a new navigational aid and a new runway vertical/visual guidance system.
- Walker County-Bevill Field Airport, Walker County: $135,000 — updates to the airport master plan narrative report and airport layout plan.
Today's top stories