TCI-PAC is asking the residents of Pennsylvania to call their House Member or Senate Member to ask them to end the transfers of money from the Motor License Fund to the General Fund.
The Transportation Construction Industries Political Action Committee (TCI-PAC) is asking the residents of Pennsylvania to call their House Member or Senate Member to ask them to end the transfers of money from the Motor License Fund to the General Fund.
The proposed 2016-17 budget would divert $814 million. That represents the equivalent of 13 cents per gallon, more than one-fifth of the approximately 55 cents in taxes levied per gallon. The diverted amount is increasing at a rate at which it will reach nearly $1 billion per year in the next five years.
TCI-PAC suggests concerned citizens ask their legislator:
• To NOT vote for a budget that diverts any additional funds from the Motor License Fund to the State Police.
• If they are aware that needed paving and bridge repair projects will be delayed or taken out of the program if this continues?
• If they are aware that the current state budget diverts $755 million from the MLF to a total State Police budget of just under $1.2 billion, 65 percent of the State Police budget? We don't believe 65 percent of State Police resources are devoted to patrolling highways.
• If they are aware that the diverted amount is increasing at a rate at which it will reach nearly $1 billion per year in the next five years?
• If they are aware that the Motor License Fund was created to receive revenue from transportation user fees, including taxes on liquid fuels, license and registration fees, and some fines? Per the Pennsylvania Constitution, revenue is required to be used only for highway purposes, including highway safety.
The House has directed the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee to conduct a study to determine the appropriate and, justifiable level of support for State Police from the Motor License Fund, given the Pennsylvania Constitution.
TCI-PAC asks also that there be no more increases in money diverted from the Motor License Fund to support State Police until it has been determined what is the appropriate and justifiable level of support?
Residents of Pennsylvania can find their legislators at: www.legis.state.pa.us