Changes in Volvo’s wheeled excavators can be seen in almost every element of the EW160C and EW180C: new engine, new cab, hydraulics, substructure, boom/arm, controls, servicing and environmental impact.
The C-Series offers more powerful Volvo Tier III compliant engines with V-ACT (Volvo Advanced Combustion Technology). The engine management’s anti-stall system balances maximum available power to hydraulic output, preventing the engine from becoming overloaded (regardless of engine speed or pump demand).
The operator’s environment has been upgraded with the introduction of a roomier Care Cab. This gives operators more room where operators really need it, including plenty of space for big site boots to work without restriction. There also is more comfort, higher volume climate control, better visibility and easier to use controls. The amount of cab glass has been increased and a transparent opening roof hatch added.
Volvo said the machines’ productivity also is enhanced as the operator is able to infinitely adjust, without leaving his seat, flow and pressure to suit the particular tool fitted. Easy, safe, tool changing also is possible; the EW range can work with three types of quick fit (S-1, S-6 or Universal). Morning inspections of engine oil, coolant, hydraulic oil and filters can be done via the in-cab control monitor, and the optional CareTrack GPS system conducts a self-diagnostic routine, alerting the operator or the fleet manager back at the office should a fault be detected.
The wheeled excavators can handle trench digging, concrete breaking, grading, craning, and hole boring and are able to move independently between job sites at speeds up to 22 mph (35 kmh).
The improvements include:
• Volvo Tier III compliant engine with V-ACT (Volvo Advanced Combustion Technology): Features large capacity turbocharger, new air management and precision high pressure fuel injection.
• Load sensing hydraulics: A higher torque swing motor means faster cycle times when working on slopes or placing loads. Features boom, arm and swing priority. In-cab operator selectable hydraulic flow and pressure increases performance, especially when regularly changing attachments. Hydraulically driven fan only operational when needed.
• A larger Volvo Care Cab offers more floor space and better visibility — especially upper and lower visibility. Adjustable seat, pedals and joystick offer various operating positions. The enhanced suspension system surpasses emerging cab vibration requirements, reducing operator fatigue and whole body vibration. In-cab noise levels also are reduced because of the low revving engine, re-siting of the cooling system and to the pressurized insulated cab itself, which blocks sound.
• Climate control: With 14 vents, the electronic climate control comforts the body at a high capacity.
• Safety: All steps and platforms feature punched steel plates for superior grip. The new windshield wiper cleans a wider area, including both upper corners. An optional rear view camera provides a safer view while slewing or during travel.
• Easier to service: Ground level access makes inspection and service convenient, straightforward and safe. Centralized lubrication points and long service intervals reduce downtime. An LCD monitor conducts a self-diagnostic check routine.
• Optional two piece boom: It offers increased agility, allowing the excavator to work in tight spaces or perform parallel digging.
• Parts commonality: The C-series shares a large number of components found on other Volvo equipment that contractors also may be using.
• Environmental awareness: 95 percent of a C-series excavator can be recycled. External sound levels are also greatly reduced. External paint is lead free.