Volvo Construction Equipment is helping customers with two high reach demolition-model excavators — the EC380DHR and the EC480DHR.
To provide the most versatile machines possible on demolition job sites, Volvo Construction Equipment offers two new models of high reach excavators, all specially tailored to the rigors of demolition at heights — the 69-ft. 2-in. (21 m) reach EC380DHR; and the 89-ft. 9- in. (27 m) reach EC480DHR. Both Volvo HR machines can be fitted with both high reach and standard digging boom configurations. This is done via the Volvo base boom modular joint system. The ability to switch equipment in as little as 30 minutes greatly improves base machine utilization from HR to below grade demolition.
With key considerations of operator safety and machine protection, the Volvo concept provides a completely specified demolition package. Helping customers avoid overlooking important options, the Volvo concept packages everything together with all demolition-specific features included so the customer does not have to worry about which features to specify. The unique aspect of these demolition options is that they are all “bolt-on”, so no welding is necessary in the event of replacement due to wear or damage. This results in less machine downtime and increased profitability for the customer’s operation, according to the manufacturer.
Standard features included on these HR models include:
• Bucket cylinder guard (digging front) and boom cylinder guard (high reach front) to protect rods and cylinders from falling object damage.
• Swing ring protection guard to protect the swing ring bearing seal and grease piping from damage by rebar, timber, concrete or other rubble.
• Frame-mounted, falling object guard (FOG). Bars on the front of the guard are set at angles to increase forward visibility and open easily for cleaning the front window.
• Micro-mesh screens on doors and engine cowl keep out particles that could result in overheating and impede engine performance.
• Double thickness side doors on both sides of the superstructure to protect pumps and coolers in the event of collision.
• Bolt-on side impact protection system to defend the superstructure from damage.
• Enhanced 0.3 in. (8 mm) under-guarding 0.4 in. (10 mm) under the slew ring).
• Full-length track guards to repel demolition debris and prevent rebar or other sharp objects from lodging in the tracks.
• Total moment indicator (TMI) system, which detects if the machine is under overload (through pressure, angle and slew sensors) and warns the operator via audible alarm and lamp signal.
• Hydraulically retractable undercarriage with cylindrical design for better stability during work and for ease of transport.
• Front view camera on high reach demolition boom with large 7-in. monitor for greater visibility and safety.
Better, Stronger, Faster
With new styling enhancements, the EC380DHR and EC480DHR are better, stronger and faster than the machines that preceded them. Both models are equipped with a Volvo D13 Tier IVi engine for lower emissions and increased horsepower and engine torque. Productivity is boosted with higher main hydraulic pressure and better hydraulic flow, as well as increased swing speed, travel speed, arm tear-out and bucket breakout forces.
Operator comfort is improved with lower interior sound levels. The cabin hydraulically tilts up to 30 degrees, reducing operator neck strain and fatigue when working on high-reach jobs. And the Volvo telematics system, CareTrack, comes as standard for three years.
As with all Volvo products, these high reach excavators are backed up with a supportive and knowledgeable dealer network. Supplying genuine parts, highly trained experts can provide a range of solutions to keep Volvo customers’ machines working productively.
For more information, call 717/532-9181 or visit www.volvo.com.