The new Volvo FMX is based on the FM platform.
Volvo Trucks is launching the Volvo FMX. Built specifically for heavy construction tasks, this truck will be available on European markets in September, followed by a global rollout during the rest of the year.
“We are extremely proud of this truck and can hardly wait to see it at work for our construction customers,” said Staffan Jufors, president and CEO, Volvo Trucks. “With the new Volvo FMX, we are truly breaking new ground for us and our customers’ operations.”
Rugged Look for a Rugged Truck
The most obvious change with the new, high-clearance Volvo FMX is its robust, modern exterior. The FMX has a new upper grill, aggressive lower front, 3-part steel bumper with .1 in. (3 mm) thick steel corners, rugged skid plate and protective bull bar. For additional functionality, the Volvo FMX also features a powerful tow hook, headlamp mesh protection, new anti-slip steps and a convenient ladder.
“A quick glance at this truck and its powerful stance immediately reveals the close connection between Volvo Trucks and our sister-company, Volvo Construction Equipment — among the world leaders in dumpers, excavators and wheel-loaders,” said Jufors. “The new Volvo FMX literally breathes construction — reflecting its capabilities, inside and out.”
Designed for Driveline Performance
The new Volvo FMX is based on the FM platform. The recently updated construction version of the I-Shift gearbox makes it possible to “rock free” from almost any situation. In addition, a new load sensor sends precise load weight information to I-Shift for an optimal gear sequence and smooth gear start, according to the manufacturer. Massive braking power, 506 hp (375 kW) at 2,300 rpm, is provided by Volvo Engine Brake Plus.
’The Perfect Construction Truck’
“This is the perfect construction truck — and our customers have largely driven its development,” said Jufors. “With all the improvements in the Volvo FMX, combined with the development of a strong service offering for the construction business, we hope that our existing customers will become even more satisfied. We also have high expectations that this new truck and our unique total offer for the construction segment will attract many new customers.”
New Features on the Volvo FMX
• New upper grill, inspired by the FH series, contributes to a modern look. The Volvo iron mark is larger and more visible, while the FMX globe sign makes a bold statement.
• New central towing device offers robust and reliable tool for towing or shunting, and can handle up to 27.5 tons (25 t). The lower front has been extended 6.5 in. (165 mm).
• New anti-slip cab instep with an optional foldable extension step helps ensure the best possible grip in all weather conditions.
• New ladder and grab handle available on the day cab give the driver a quick and convenient overview of the load directly from the door opening.
• New load sensor provides weight load information to the recently updated construction version of the I-Shift gearbox for an optimized gear sequence and smooth start.
• Rugged construction mirror installation that is better able to withstand external damage and scratching, while the narrow mirror arm helps reduce the blind spot in this area for improved visibility from the driver position.
• New, modern headlight design with durable headlight mesh protection that helps prevent stone chipping, without interfering with the optional high-pressure headlight cleaner.
• New rugged fog lights set back in the steel corners of the bumper.
• New rugged steel bumper in a 3-part design: .1 in. (3 mm) thick steel outer corners, a robust skid plate and a new heavy-duty pull bar that helps protect the vital components behind it.
• New anti-slip footstep integrated in the skid plate provides easy and convenient access to the windscreen for cleaning. An extra foldable extension step and/or a front grab handle at the upper grill are optional for even easier access.
• Heavy-duty engine protection helps protect vital components.
• New rugged steel fuel tanks have been raised for higher clearance.
• A new, higher air intake position on the day cab is available as an option that optimizes the quality of the air to the engine, while also improving visibility when reversing.
• New preparation kits and mounting options for working lights and reverse lights are available to choose from, making it easier to meet specific requirements.
• New robust rubber mats with flanges to keep dirt and mud within the mat area for easy cleaning.
• Three new interior trims to choose from: vinyl seats and door panels, textile seats and vinyl door panels or plush seats and door panels. Leather seat is optional.
• Three new interior accessories contribute to improved driver comfort: a table with dedicated space for cups and pens, a practical storage box and a paper holder in water resistant fabric.