The May ribbon cutting ceremony hosted by the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) and Team United to open Howell Road over Middle Tyger River in Spartanburg County celebrated the completion of a 33-bridge replacement program on secondary roads.
During the past year these structurally deficient bridges have been replaced throughout South Carolina with an $18.4 million contract. The contract will be completed in 15 months, which is 60 days ahead of schedule and within the budget.
These 33 bridges are among nearly 1,900 substandard bridges in South Carolina in need of repair or replacement. SCDOT receives a limited amount of federal funds each year to address the state’s replacement and rehabilitation needs. Currently the cost of replacing these substandard bridges greatly exceeds the available funding. This single contract for multiple bridge replacements is an innovative way to use limited funds more efficiently.
The following bridges have been replaced:
• Washington St. over Winnsboro Branch, Town of Winnsboro, Fairfield Co.
• Brentwood Dr. over Middle Pen Creek, City of Orangeburg, Orangeburg Co.
• Woods Chapel Rd. over South Tyger River, City of Duncan, Spartanburg Co.
• Rocky Ford Rd. — four bridges over Dickie Swamp and McGirts Swamp, Williamsburg Co.
• Chisolm Rd. over Tidal Stream, Charleston Co.
• Seibert Rd. over Buffalo Creek, Newberry Co.
• Wild Flower Dr. over Cedar Creek No. 1, Richland Co.
• Ashley Dr. over Saw Mill Canal, Town of Summerville, Dorchester Co.
• Camp Creek Rd. over Little Otter Creek, Lancaster Co.
• Keller Rd. over Beaverdam Creek, Greenville Co.
• Woodhills Rd. over Branch of Camping Creek, Newberry Co.
• Church Flats Rd. over Tidal Stream, Charleston Co.
• Rays Crossing Rd. — two bridges over Salkehatchie River and Swamp, Barnwell Co.
• Mt. Sina Church Rd. over Boykin Branch, Sumter Co.
• Howell Rd. over Middle Tyger River, Spartanburg Co.
• N.L. Dairy Rd. over Tributary to Indian Creek, Saluda Co.
• Lowry’s Rd. over Gilkey Creek, Cherokee Co.
• Legare Rd. over Unknown Stream, Dorchester Co.
• Beaverdam Rd. over Tributary to Beaverdam Creek, Jasper Co.
• Baron DeKalb Rd. over Flat Rock Creek, Kershaw Co.
• Mineral Spring Rd. over Gully Swamp, Darlington Co.
• Chinquapin Rd. over Big Curl Tail, Greenwood Co.
• County Glen Rd. over Hurricane Creek, Anderson Co.
• Shirley Rd. over Reeves Creek, Chester Co.
• Rigby Rd. over Cattle Creek, Orangeburg Co.
• Ruhamah Rd. over Eighteen Mile Creek, Pickens Co.
• Old Bluff Rd. — bridges over Reeves and Cabin Creeks, Richland Co.
• S. Wofford Dr. over Macedonia Creek, Cherokee Co.
Today's top stories