Our newsletters cover the entire industry and only include the interests that you pick. Sign up and see.
Intersection Improvements Progress
Wed January 02, 2019 - West Edition #1
The project will improve safety and mobility at three key intersections on North Main Avenue (U.S. Highway 550) in Durango.
Intersection upgrades on U.S. 550 (Main Ave.) continue, even as snow is making an impact in town. CDOT and contractor Kirkland Construction have installed the new signal mast arms at all four approaches at both 17th and 22nd streets. Excavation continued during good weather facilitating the installation of conduit and new signal cabinets.
The project will improve safety and mobility at three key intersections on North Main Avenue (U.S. Highway 550) in Durango: 17th, 22nd and 32nd streets. The work is scheduled for completion by Memorial Day 2019 (with periods of winter work suspension likely between November 2018 and March 2019) and was contracted to Kirkland for $3.6 million. Work items include:
- Sidewalk upgrades to meet ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requirements at all four corners of each intersection, including ADA-compliant curb ramps;
- drainage improvements (storm drain inlets);
- new/upgraded pavement markings for bike lanes, bike boxes, stop bars at crosswalks;
- at 17th, an additional sidewalk on the small island (triangle area at the east edge of Fassbinder Park) between 17th Street and West Park Avenue, providing pedestrian refuge for the longer crosswalk at this location;
- at 22nd, replacement of existing span-wire signal with new poles and mast arms and signal heads;
- at 32nd, full signal replacement; and
- at 32nd, new/upgraded pavement markings between East 2nd Avenue and the intersection providing two left-turn lanes onto southbound Main Avenue, one shared through/right turn-lane, and a small raised island at the intersection designating a free-flow right turn onto northbound Main Avenue (U.S. 550).