The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is beginning a new project in West Springfield/Agawam. The Morgan-Sullivan Bridge Reconstruction Project will reconstruct and widen the bridge that carries Suffield Street/Memorial Avenue (Route 147) over the Westfield River. The project also will reconstruct and add new traffic signals to three intersections:
- Memorial Avenue at River Street in West Springfield
- Springfield Street (Route 147) at Main Street/Suffield Street in Agawam
- Springfield Street (Route 147) at Walnut Street/Walnut Street Extension in Agawam
The full project schedule is as follows:
- Preliminary work is expected to begin in early October, with placement of a temporary construction barrier to close two of the four lanes for Phase I bridge work planned to begin in late October/early November. The north side of the bridge will be closed and two-way single lane traffic will be diverted to the south side of the bridge.
- Phase 2 bridge work is expected to begin in late 2020. The south side of the bridge will be closed and two-way single lane traffic will be diverted to the newly constructed north side of the bridge.
- The Phase 2 bridge work is expected to be completed by the end of 2021 when all four lanes will be open to traffic.
- Miscellaneous work will continue throughout the winter and spring and be completed in the summer of 2022.
The schedule for this major infrastructure project is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.