New York Gov. to Open Second Span of New Tappan Zee Bridge

Fri September 07, 2018 - National Edition
Emily Buenzle


New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that the latest portion of the $3.9 billion Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge will open on Saturday, Sept. 8, ABC 7 reported.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that the latest portion of the $3.9 billion Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge will open on Saturday, Sept. 8, ABC 7 reported.

The second span of the new Tappan Zee Bridge will soon be open for traffic.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that the latest portion of the $3.9 billion Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge will open on Saturday, Sept. 8, ABC 7 reported.

Cuomo said crews accelerated the span's construction to open the bridge faster so it could help cut down on traffic between Rockland and Westchester counties. Previously, one span supported eight lanes of traffic. Now, with four wider lanes in either direction, drivers have a little more room to maneuver, ABC 7 reported.

While one last portion of the old Tappan Zee Bridge is still standing, it will come down before the project is wrapped up.

Right now, Cuomo said there will be no toll increase on the bridge.

“There will be no change through 2020, period,” said Cuomo. “In 2020, then we're going to have to do what I believe is a comprehensive review of all the tolls.

In 2017, the first span was opened for use.




Today's top stories

Crews Make Headway On $63M I-16/I-75 Improvement Project

WBEs Leave Mark On Kansas City Airport

Registration Opens for GIE+EXPO 2021 as October Event Returns in Person

VIDEO: HitchDoc's Dual Dozer Can Push, Pull, Grade in Any Direction

VIDEO: Volvo CE Delivers Its Version of the Factory 4 Tomorrow

Subsite Electronics Launches Marksman HDD Guidance System

Arkansas Embarks On Biggest-Ever Highway Construction Program

U.S. Rep. Steil Tours Putzmeister America


 






ceg-logo ceg-logo ceg-logo ceg-logo ceg-logo