Construction of two new buildings is under way near the west entrance of the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) Homewood Campus.
The Maxine F. Singer building, a 79,000-sq.-ft. (7,339 sq m) biomedical research facility, will become the new home of the Carnegie Institution of Washington’s Department of Embryology. It has been affiliated with the university since 1913.
A two-story office building will be located nearby, atop a 523-space parking structure that will serve both facilities, the JHU Club and the general campus.
The Clark Construction Group Inc., headquartered in Bethesda, MD, is serving as the construction manager on the $42-million project.
The Singer building, designed by Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Partnership of Washington, D.C., promotes state-of-the-art genomic research through an open layout that encourages collaboration.
Core spaces include a computing facility, vivarium, biotechnology lab, library and common meeting rooms.
Clad in brick, metal panels and copper shingles, the three-level building is built into an existing hill, and features large, attractive windows.
The companion 50,000-sq.-ft. (4,645 sq m) office building’s facade consists of aluminum and brick, and sits above a three-level, brick parking structure trimmed with limestone. A pedestrian bridge over San Martin Drive will connect both buildings to the main campus.
As part of the project, extensive landscaping and hill restoration on the site will be carried out. By planting trees and native plants, the area, a former surface parking lot, will be returned to a park-like setting.
Completion is expected in early 2005.