Looking Back: Building United Nations' Headquarters
Images show the early construction of a landmark that belongs to the entire world.
📅 Mon November 14, 2016 - Northeast Edition #23
Edgar A. Browning - SPECIAL TO CEG
Author’s Photo Collection
A Lorain 820 shovel with a 2 cu. yd. (1.5 cu m) dipper loads a for-hire Sterling single axle chaindrive dump truck with blasted rock. A 10 ton (9 t) Euclid end dump on a demonstration is waiting to be loaded.
Four NYC contractors formed a joint venture to construct the United Nations headquarters in New York. The group, Fuller-Turner-Walsh-Slattery Inc., submitted the low bid of $24 million and was awarded the contract in January 1948. Slattery Contracting began preliminary demolition and excavation work at the building site in 1948 under a separate $500,000 contract. The UN site is located between First Avenue and East River Drive from 42nd to 47th streets. American Bridge Company of New York was awarded a contract for furnishing and erecting steel for the structure.
Read more about...