Syracuse Airport to Get $45 Million Upgrade, Create 869 Construction Jobs
Tue January 17, 2017 - Northeast Edition CEG
The Syracuse airport will undergo a $45.1 million renovation over the next two years, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today.
New York State will chip in $35.8 million to redesign the 55-year-old airport. Onondaga County will contribute $1 million. Other money will come from the Syracuse Airport Authority and the federal government.
The redesign includes a new facade, new flooring and furniture in the terminals, a regional aviation history museum, a glass pedestrian bridge and an eco-friendly roof over the main entrance.
"The drop-off canopy is a tad dark and unwelcoming," Cuomo said Wednesday in his State of the State address in Syracuse. "The main entrance doesn't communicate to travelers that they've arrived to a growing and vibrant regional economy. Understatement of the century. We are going to transform and rebuild the airport."
The airport is managed by an independent authority. Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner and the Common Council appoint most of the members of that authority. County Executive Joanie Mahoney also gets one appointment.
"It's going to be a very good thing for the community," Miner said Wednesday.
According to Cuomo, the new airport features will include:
• A redesign of the terminal to make the area more spacious, including new flooring and furniture;
• The new Regional Aviation History Museum, designed with help from the Onondaga Historical Association, which will display significant events in local aviation history;
• A new facade to allow for natural light in the passenger drop-off area
• A glass pedestrian bridge that will allow travelers with mobile tickets to skip ticketing lines;
• A new exterior made of perforated Corten Steel panels, energy efficient windows and a new rainwater collection system;
• Energy efficient lighting and a cold weather green roof.
Cuomo said the project will create 869 construction jobs and is expected to be completed within two years.
The project comes nearly four years after the airport underwent a $60 million renovation.
Construction Equipment Guide
470 Maryland Drive
Fort Washington, PA 19034
Construction Equipment Guide covers the nation with its four regional newspapers, offering construction and industry news and information along with new and used construction equipment for sale from dealers in your area. Now we extend those services and information to the internet. Making it as easy as possible to find the news and equipment that you need and want.