The E2850 enables continuous movement, which reduces the likelihood of uneven surfaces.
Weiler’s E2850 remixing transfer vehicle (RTV) is designed to help improve smoothness and handle large volumes on high-production paving jobs.
"The E2850 enables continuous movement, which reduces the likelihood of uneven surfaces," said Bill Hood, vice president at Weiler. "The contact between pavers and end-dump trucks is eliminated, which also helps smoothness — as does the fact the machine reduces both temperature and particulate segregation because of the remixing process."
The E2850 is a larger version of the proven E1250A remixing transfer vehicle. Increased size for volume production in challenging applications is the key difference, according to the company.
"We didn’t want to just make a ’big’ machine, but a big machine that behaved like a small one, particularly in terms of operation," said Hood. "A key benefit of the E2850 is it makes the rest of the paving operation run more smoothly and efficiently. It also is an extremely operator friendly, easily controlled machine."
Big But Agile
The E2850 is a large machine with fast-pace capabilities, and the engineering reflects both attributes. A Cat C9 engine with ACERT technology powers the RTV. Its 300 hp (224 kW) engine powers working speeds up to 194 ft. per minute (59 m per minute) even when the hopper is at or near its full capacity of 25 tons (22.7 t).
Engineering adjustments reflect the expansive hopper capacity. The hopper and augers are designed for evenly distributed throughput as well. Wide, self-cleaning caster wheels help evenly distribute the heavy loads.
Despite its larger size, the E2850 is very manageable for operators. Among the reasons:
• Optional rear steer provides a tight inside turning radius of 14 ft. (4.2 m).
• The steering angle returns to center on demand.
• A flow divider with a momentary switch provides equal force to the front and rear wheels for enhanced traction when working on uneven terrain.
• The electronic controller provides instant feedback on hydraulic pressures, ground speed and engine operation.
• The operating platform hydraulically extends beyond the mainframe from 0 to 12 in. (0 to 30.5 cm) in either direction for improved visibility on the right or left sides, making it easier for operators to see and be seen.
• Three-speed hydrostatic drive powers Cat planetaries for smooth on-the-fly shifting.
• The hydrostatic drive’s joystick control and variable speed dial make it easy for operators to match the pace of the paving train.
The large RTV’s impact on trucking is significant.
"It gives crews flexibility," Hood said. "When encountering a location that’s difficult for trucks to access, chances are the E2850 can reach it — despite its size."
The RTV fits beneath most power lines, and is able to navigate tighter job sites, such as cul-de-sacs, where trucks often struggle. Other benefits related to receiving materials from trucks include:
• The E2850’s hydraulically extendable push rollers help align trucks.
• Trucks can deposit loads a significant distance from the paver, if necessary.
• Larger-capacity trucks can be used than when end-dumping.
• The storage capacity provides flexibility when traffic or other delivery problems limit truck access to the paving train.
Ending the Day
The Weiler E2850 can even increase end-of-day productivity by shortening cleanup. The E2850 is designed to minimize cleanup time.
• The front dump hopper is equipped with full-width, hydraulic cleanout.
• The storage hopper provides ground-level access for simplified cleanout and service of remixing augers.
• The front elevator, storage hopper and rear conveyor are equipped with retractable floors for easy inspection, cleanout and maintenance.
• The independent wash-down system features a spray wand and 50 ft. (15.2 m) retractable hose.
• Routine service points are easily accessible.
The machine is sold and serviced through the Cat dealer network.
For more information, visit weilerproducts.com.
Today's top stories