The RoadHog leaves a finely ground trail of asphalt in the wake of the Case 721E XT wheel loader.
Southeastern Equipment Company’s Rod House, branch manager for the Holt, Mich., location, recently arranged a demonstration of Zanetis Power Attachment’s RH40140 RoadHog self powered cold planer for the Bay County Road Commission in Kawkawlin, Mich.
The unit’s designation, 40140, stands for the 40 in. (101 cm) cutter powered by a 140 hp (104 kW) engine. In all there are eight models of Road Hogs available, ranging from a 30 in. (76 cm) cutting width machine powered by a 75 hp (56 kW) engine to a 72 in. (183 cm) cutting width machine powered by a 200 hp (149 kW) engine. Six of the models are designed for use with a wheel loader and two models are designed for backhoes.
According to Bay County Road Commission General Superintendent Randy Frederick, the connission has been looking for a machine that would allow it to efficiently tackle jobs where it needed to do sectional grinding as opposed to grinding an entire road. Based on what he saw during the demonstration, Frederick felt the RH 40140 could handle both spot grinding as well as grinding an entire roadway.
For the demonstration, the Bay County Road Commission selected a stretch of roadway that was away from major traffic that needed repairs. The RH 40140 was attached to a Case 721E XT wheel loader. The unit can be attached to the loader by either a direct pin on or with a quick attach. The attachment set up provides a more stable operation and enhanced visibility. According to Bay County Road Commission Operator Todd Eckerd, the planer ran smoothly and generated very little resistance on the loader.
Zanetis Power Attachments Regional Product Specialist Gary Eastwood also was on hand to help with the demonstration.
“There’s a lot of equipment out there that is complicated and therefore intimidating to operate. The RoadHog is easy to pick up and use. That’s why I tell groups that it’s the next Geico commercial because even a caveman can operate it,” Eastwood said.
The machines come with a wireless hand-held remote control with simple to use control functions for start-up, stop, tilt, side shift and depth. Both House and Eastwood were quick to point out some of the key benefits offered by Zanetis Power Attachments, including local dealer support and ready access to wear parts and maintenance items such as replacement teeth and drive belts. The machine demonstrated can be used on concrete as well as asphalt. There also is a water kit available for dust suppression.
On seeing the RoadHog in action and learning more about its capabilities, Frederick agreed with other staff from Bay County that were on hand to see the machine perform, claiming, “I like the way the RoadHog cold planer works.”
Standard Features and Equipment
• Designed to cut asphalt, concrete, utility trenches and reclaim or stabilize pavement and base.
• Pavement is recycled in place and can be reused for base reconstruction or trench backfill.
• Units are self-contained and require no hydraulic or electrical power from the loader.
• Available with John Deere or Caterpillar Tier III turbocharged diesel engines.
• Hydraulic clutch transfers power to a double reduction planetary gear driveline within the drum.
• Master control panel activates engine functions and cutting depth, tilt (slope) and side shift adjustments.
• Includes display of engine rpm, oil pressure, water temperature, volts, fuel consumption and hour meter.
• Wireless remote transmitter controls engine functions and cutting drum adjustments from up to 50 ft. (15.2 m) away.
• Drum side shift allows shoulder milling and reduces loader repositioning within the traffic lane.
• Drum tilt (slope) control for matching grades and making bevel or header cuts.
• Drum cutting depth of 0 to 12 in. (0 to 30.5 cm) on wheel loader models, 0 to 8 in. (0 to 20 cm) on loader backhoe models.
• Hydraulically assisted drum access hood on 48, 60 and 72 in. (122, 152 and 183 cm) models
• Water spraybar with nozzles (complete 40 or 80 gal. (151 or 303 L) pressurized water system is available as an option).
• Adjustable waste gate controls the size of discharged material (optional on RH3075 and RH4075).
• Removable front plate allows stabilizing material to be placed in front of the drum during mixing operations.
• 75 hp class units are compatible with loader backhoes; 140 and 200 hp class units are for wheel loaders.