Leonard Toenjes, CAE, president of The Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Missouri, addresses attendees.
The Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Missouri announced the winners of its 2016 construction industry awards on Nov. 10 at its gala event at the River City Casino & Hotel. The Construction Awards Gala featured the 19th Annual Construction Keystone Awards, which highlight the creativity and talents of Missouri's construction industry. This year also marks the sixth time the AGC of Missouri has named first place specialty contractors in 12 disciplines along with the coveted Specialty Contractor of the Year award.
The 19th Annual Keystone Awards were presented to 10 contractors chosen from a group of 27 finalists covering a broad spectrum of project types, including hospitals, educational buildings, manufacturing facilities, treatment plants, railyards and retail. The awards ceremony also honored the owners of the projects in this elite group.
The Construction Keystone Awards are not awarded based upon a project's beauty. Instead, the Keystone Awards recognize a contractor's success in achieving solutions during construction for challenges faced on a project. The awards are a glowing recognition of construction professionals whose skill, teamwork and spirit of innovation make a lasting contribution to a community by building the facilities that support and enhance the quality of life. Safety performance and workforce diversity also are essential components of overall performance.
Keystone Project of the Year winners include:
• Interface Construction Corporation for the Agriculture Pavilion at the Saint Louis Science Center, St. Louis, Mo.;
• icon Mechanical Construction & Engineering for BJC-Washington University Medical School Campus Renewal Project-Penthouse, St. Louis, Mo.
• S. M. Wilson & Co. for IKEA St. Louis, St. Louis, Mo.
• L. Keeley Construction Company for the Illinois River Transmission Project-Mississippi River Cross, Palmyra, Mo., to Quincy, Ill.
• Concrete Strategies LLC for Railroad Depot Grand Staircase, Poplar Bluff, Mo.
• Guarantee Electrical Company for William H. Danforth Wing of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St. Louis, Mo.
• Guarantee Electrical Company for December 2015 Flood Mitigation for Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District, Fenton, Mo.
• PayneCrest Electric Inc. for Flint Creek Environmental Retrofit, Gentry, Ark.
• ISC Contracting Inc. for Varsity Tutors LLC Corporate Headquarters, St. Louis, Mo.
• Herzog/Reyes, a Joint Venture for Pier E Container Yard / Intermodal Railyard, Phase I, Long Beach, Calif.
The 2016 Keystone Heritage Award was presented to the Bagnell Dam at the Lake of the Ozarks. Since its first presentation in 1997, the Heritage Award's purpose is to recognize a project of significance and ongoing importance that was built prior to the inception of the Keystone Awards. If ever there was a project that exemplified the elements of a Keystone Award long before the award criteria was even developed, it is the Bagnell Dam. This construction project — virtually the only major construction project in the nation during the Great Depression — created the economic engine known to us as Lake of the Ozarks and continues to provide power for Missourians nearly 90 years later.
Specialty Contractor Awards
The AGC of Missouri also announced 12 Specialty Contractor of the Year (SCOTY) Awards to specialty contractors voted first place in their discipline by the general contractor members of the AGC. The General Contractor members were asked to consider a Specialty Contractor's timeliness in regard to completion of project(s), ability to stay within budget and their overall experience with the specialty contractor. The 12 First Place Specialty Contractor of the Year (SCOTY) award winners are:
• D & S Fencing Co. Inc., ancillary services)
• Vee-Jay Cement Contracting Co. Inc., concrete/paving
• Drilling Service Company, earthwork and utilities
• Guarantee Electrical Company, electrical
• Spirtas Wrecking Company, environmental remediation and demolition
• T. J. Wies Contracting Inc., interior and exterior finishes, openings and fixtures
• Murphy Company, HVAC/piping
• Grant Masonry Contracting Co. Inc., masonry
• Fire Tech LLC, plumbing and fire protection
• Waterhout Construction Inc., structural and finish carpentry
• ACME Erectors Inc., structural and finish metals
• Kirberg Company, thermal and moisture protection
The specialty contractor receiving the most votes by general contractors also was presented the Specialty Contractor of the Year award by the AGC of Missouri. This distinction was awarded to T. J. Wies Contracting Inc.
“As the largest statewide construction trade association it's really exciting for us to have the opportunity to highlight outstanding projects completed by our members here in Missouri and throughout the country. The SCOTY Awards provide our General Contractors the opportunity to honor our specialty contractors for their contributions to the success of a project,” said Leonard Toenjes, CAE, president of the AGC. “More than ever in today's competitive and challenging construction environment, collaboration is the key to making a successful project happen.”
For more information, visit www.agcmo.org
Today's top stories