The company’s celebration event in May.
Celebrating 70 years in the asphalt paving business takes dedication, hard work and a little bit of fun too. Bituminous Roadways Inc. of Mendota Heights, Minn., invited employees, retirees, business partners and customers to help the company celebrate this corporate milestone.
In 1946, Al Wendell founded Bituminous Roadways with a three-man crew and an asphalt plant in south Minneapolis. In 1958, Wendell took a promising University of Minnesota student, Palmer Peterson, under his wing. Peterson worked his way through the company, eventually becoming president. Today, Bituminous Roadways is owned by Palmer's son, Kent Peterson.
After 70 years in business, the company has grown significantly. Milling and grading capabilities were added, two asphalt facilities in Inver Grove Heights and Shakopee were built, concrete teams were formed and the number of employees grew from 12 in 1963 to approximately 150 this year.
In addition to adding staff and capabilities, Bituminous Roadways has become a leader in recycling old asphalt pavement as well as asphalt shingles, according to the company. By recycling these materials, the company reduces its carbon footprint while preserving natural resources without sacrificing quality.
“Bituminous Roadways is proud of its history and accomplishments,” said Kent Peterson, owner. “We will continue moving forward with our mission of providing superior pavement solutions, being the best at what we do through a skilled workforce, and providing a safe, accident free work environment.”
The corporate headquarters is located at 1520 Commerce Dr., Mendota Heights, Minn.
For more information, visit www.bitroads.com.