Caltrans released the public draft of the California State Rail Plan, which outlines a new framework for California's rail network. The Rail Plan sets the stage for new and better rail, and multimodal and community connections in the state for the next 20 years and beyond.
“The plan will guide the state's priorities for rail investments that support California's economy for future generations. Public feedback is critical to ensure that the strategies developed reflect the diverse needs of all communities throughout the state,” said Malcolm Dougherty, director of Caltrans
The Rail Plan is unlike prior plans. Strategic investments will lead to an easy-to-use rail system offering faster and more frequent service, customer-friendly timed multimodal connections, integrated ticketing and trip planning and increased reliability of travel in congested corridors around the state.
The plan outlines a series of investments to connect most communities in California to each other at least every hour throughout the day, with many regions being connected with half-hourly service. It also highlights the critical role for the rail system to be expanded in its ability to move a growing volume of freight cleanly and efficiently.
Caltrans is seeking public input throughout the planning process to understand the public's priorities for passenger and freight rail. The public comment period began Oct. 11, and ends Dec. 11, 2017. This is an opportunity for the public to submit comments on the Rail Plan through the project website's online comment form (dot.ca.gov/californiarail/comments.html) or visit CaliforniaStateRailPlan.com.
The project website provides the latest project information, including the draft plan, and visitors can join the project email list to receive future notifications and updates.
During the public comment period, Caltrans will host seven public workshops across the state, as well as an online statewide webinar. The dates and locations for the public workshops are:
• Oct. 30 at the Historic Tower Theater 815 E. Olive Avenue in Fresno (4:30 to 7:30 p.m.)
• Nov. 1 at the Oakstop Event Space 1721 Broadway in Oakland (4:30 to 7:30 p.m.).
• Nov. 7 at the Sacramento Public Library, Tsakopoulos Library Galleria, Galeria West Room in Sacramento (4:30 to 7:30 p.m.).
• Nov. 13 at the Caltrans District 11 offices 4050 Taylor Street, Garcia Room, San Diego (4:30 to 7:30 p.m.).
• Nov. 14 at the San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot, 1170 W. 3rd Street, San Bernardino (4:30 to 7:30 p.m.).
• Nov. 15 at the Los Angeles County Metro Headquarters, 1 Gateway Plaza, Lobby & Board Room in Los Angeles (4:30 to 7:30 p.m.).
• Dec. 6 Webinar (12:00 to 1:30 p.m.).
For more information, visit Caltrans.com.
Today's top stories